Code Contracts license

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I was looking at the license for Code Contracts and it doesn't seem to be commercially friendly, since this project uses Code Contracts doesn't that mean users are bound by the license of Code Contracts as well as the Apache license?

The particular clause I was looking at being, "Examples of commercial purposes would be" ... "distributing the Software for use with commercial products, using the Software in the creation or use of commercial products or any other activity which purpose is to procure a commercial gain to you or others"

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I was under the impression that Code Contracts came with two licenses:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/contracts/

There are two distinct downloads: an academic license download that anyone can play with for non-commercial use (e.g. teaching), and a commercial use download: Academic License: For any Visual Studio 2008 edition (except Express). Allows non-commercial use. Download link. Commercial License: There are two commercial versions. See the DevLabs information for more details.

I have to admit though that I've never read either license, though... ;)

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:54 PM
Didn't know about the commercial license, you might want to link that page instead when pointing people to the download. Though I'm not exactly sure what they mean by, "3. TERM. The term of this agreement expires two years after installation of the software.", does that mean the commercial version has a 2 year shelf-life? Few of the clauses on redistribution people will have to be careful of as well when using the commercial license if distributing any of Code Contract's distributable code.
Jun 16, 2010 at 7:31 AM

I honestly doubt Code Contracts presents any kind of licensing issue. It's actually included (in the box) in .NET 4, so it should carry all the same terms and conditions as the framework.

Coordinator
Jun 16, 2010 at 7:34 AM

As far as I'm aware of, the license is only for the Code Contract software, not the library. But, that is something I'll check.

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Yeah, I was just looking at the stuff for VS2008, might just look at upgrading to 2010.